Thursday, September 17, 2015

Tutorial: How to Make a Pillbox Hat

Hey everyone!

I made my own pillbox hat out of an old jewelry box for the San Francisco J-fashion community's first annual OTTea Party! Here is how I did it.

I started with this jewelry box that I received with a purchase many years ago.



Here are the materials I used to create my hat!

In photo: stretchy cotton fabric, netting, ribbon, alligator clips, fake flowers, glue gun and glue, sequins, feathers, and a pen. Not pictured: scissors.

I cut a square of stretchy cotton fabric to a shape that could cover the top and sides of the bottom of the jewelry box (I did not use the lid in this project).


I placed glue along the inside of the box, and pressed the fabric down over the sides, trimming it as necessary.



After gluing around the rim, I added a bit of hot glue to the foam insert and placed it back inside the jewelry box. This piece of foam is necessary for keeping the hat on the head, so if you are planning on making this and the box you are using did not come with one, I highly recommend buying foam separately and cutting it to the proper dimensions to fit in your box.



You will need to attach the alligator clips at this point. I recommend using to, gluing them on opposite sides of the foam base. This will keep the hat firmly on your head.

I then began decorating! I cut a piece of netting to my desired size and shape, gathered it a bit at the top, and glued it down. I recommend wearing gloves for this; I did not and ended up regretting it, for my fingers got a bit burnt. 


I then continued decorating! I added a small, gathered piece of netting to the back for some volume.


I then continued to decorate the hat as I pleased. This is where I really personalized it to my own taste, and to match my outfit! Here is how it came out!




I hope this was tutorial was helpful, or at least an enjoyable read. :)

2 comments: