Tuesday, September 29, 2015

My Last Weekend in California: A Trip to Napa and Enjoying the SuperBloodMoon Eclipse

This past weekend was my last in California before I move, so my dad asked me what I wanted to do - and I really wanted to head to Napa one last time. My father, his girlfriend Irina, her youngest son Noah, and I piled in the car and took off.


First, we went to S. Vittui winery. They're quite famous for their outdoor barbeque and for their wonderful Italian style meat & cheese marketplace - even more so than for their wines, haha. 

The Italian marketplace. Photo via S. Vittui website.

The outdoor barbecue.

In front of the main building...

After we ate a very nutritious meal consisting of solely bread and cheese, we went to the downtown Napa area to poke around.

Wandering on the street.
 We then visited Woodhouse Chocolates! Noah and I loved the name, because Woodhouse is the name of a character from a show we watch called Archer (I recommend watching this show while sleepy. The more tired you are, the funnier it is).


An array of Woodhouse chocolates.


The Dulce de Leche and Milk Fleur de Sel chocolates that I had!

They had cute chocolate skulls out for Halloween, too. I was very tempted to buy one.

Festive AF.


After we finished looking around downtown, we went to Sterling Vineyards (which Noah and I laughed at yet again, since Sterling is *also* the name of a character on Archer) where we went on their famous air tram. 

We waited in a decently long line for this three minute ride...
The view from the tram (feat. my dad's shoulder).

When we arrived at the top, we decided to walk around. The American drinking age is 21, so neither Noah (age 13) and I were able to drink - but we were given these fantastic consolation boxes...

Fun for all ages, right?

After we drove home, we ate a quick dinner before Irina and Noah left, as Noah had school the following day. 

My dad and I wanted to see the Supermoon Eclipse - a rare "once in a generation" phenomenon that I'm sure you've already heard of. 

We spent a long time driving around looking for the moon, but sadly no one in the Bay Area could see it, as it was shrouded by clouds. We got stuck in concert traffic and had very little luck, but my dad wanted to stop at Shoreline anyway, just in case. As we stood near the marshy shore, a young child cried out in excitement, and at once everyone there began to cry out in joy - we all watched as the red moon slowly rose above the clouds. It was a truly magical moment! I attempted to take photos, but sadly, none of them turned out too well! So, enjoy my favorite photo of the event, by photographer Tim Durkan.

The Super Blood Moon over the Seattle Space Needle. Photo by Tim Durkan.

Anyway, I'm off to England tomorrow. Packing has been a real chore, but it's almost done.

I can't wait to begin this adventure!




No comments:

Post a Comment